Re: [News] Dell and Ubuntu Deal Confirmed, Looking Ahead

"Doug Mentohl" <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
> on 01/05/07 16:01 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>| Some of you may be thinking, "Why is this such a big deal?" Linspire
>>| has been successful in getting smaller OEMs (original equipment
>>| manufacturers) to offer Linux on the desktop for years. ..
>
> Wal-Mart did have a deal to sell Linspire but I believe they dropped it
> and instead did a joint MS/Novell deal.
>
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/microsoft_and_novell_alliance_embraced_by_wal_mart

You're misinformed or misguided. The press release you're talking about is
for servers being employed by Wal Mart for their internal operations.

The Linspire deal is about desktops/laptops being sold by Wal Mart to retail
customers:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3504708

They're still going strong and very cheap. Haven't heard too much about
them, though.