Re: [News] Linux Now Supports Another 352 USB Webcams, Thanks to One Man

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 11:27 \__

>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 03:36 \__

>>> For God sake, somebody get this man a coffee and a pizza! :)
>>
>> A Nobel Price. When Linux rules the desktop market... which is where
>> webcams matter of the most.
>>

> He doesn't really seem to have received the degree of credit which he
> should have done!  Perhaps we need a "Coder of the Week" in Cola?

This man if living proof that motives such as altruism exceed the value of
time and money. PJ seems to have liked a scientific article that finds this
to be a particular function of the brain. It's not just attribution and ego.
It's also a matter of knowing that you helped... at the end of the day at
least...

Have a look at a quote that [H]omer brought to my attention yesterday. It's
about a Microsoft employee who will probably be switching to GNU/Linux,
according to this post.

.----
| What was able to drain the marrow of life from my body and leave only
| hollowed-out shell of the man who once occupied this space?
|
| Six years ago I began working for Microsoft.
`----

http://makingtheswitch.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/when-did-i-become-such-a-tool/

As you know, [H]omer is a serious Fedora volunteer who enjoys this challenge
in his retirement. The above post is not the first such post that I see from
a Microsoft employee (or an ex-Softie). Worth a read... the life on the
Redmond Production Line... or Ballmer's Army.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  1:00pm  up 2 days 21:15,  6 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.45, 0.61