[News] Packaged Software Model Will Be Replaced by Services, Say Experts

Industry Pundits: Move to SAAS Is 'Permanent'

,----[ Quote ]
| The move away from the traditional packaged software model toward software
| as a service, with all its associated new business and revenue models, is a
| permanent one, speakers said at the New Software Industry conference here
| on April 30.
|
| [...]
|
| "The temporary argument goes that we are in a transition phase between
| the platform and business model innovations, while the permanent
| argument says that software is not commoditized and prices will fall
| close to zero and the future is SAAS [software as a service], where
| it is free, but not really free as it is supported by advertising or
| indirect revenues, and that other commoditized high-tech industries
| will follow," he said.

Of course, this spells doom for Microsoft, which very much struggles in
getting its services to work and attract people. Last week, Microsoft said
that there was very little demand for Office Live. Meanwhile, Google claims
100,000+ businesses migrated from Microsoft Office to its own offering.

Related:

Software-as-a-service vendor stands by open source infrastructure

,----[ Quote ]
| Finch says that, while entrepreneurs may be tempted to use closed
| source technology to run their business, they should consider using
| open source. "The reality is that a lot of people are more familiar
| with Windows and they think they know what they're doing. If you're
| getting ready to roll out an infrastructure and you're thinking,
| should I go with Windows or open source, in the long run I'm
| absolutely certain that open source is going to save them money.
| They're going to find it easier to manage, easier to upgrade,
| easier to control, and less likely to get hacked."
`----

http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/22275

Microsoft faces Office Live lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| A company called Office Live said Friday it has filed a
| trademark infringement lawsuit against Microsoft over the
| software giant's use of "Office Live" for its on-demand
| productivity tools.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6161689.html

Can a Geek Get the Girl?

,----[ Quote ]
| I really haven't seen all that much being said about Microsoft's stab
| at social networking.
|
| [...]
|
| Even something as simple as its stronghold in operating software will
| be tested in the coming years, with the computing resurgence over at
| Apple and companies such as Red Hat out to popularize
| open-source platforms. Yes, Microsoft will be a force over the next
| few years, but way too many industry analysts are pointing to Windows
| Vista as the last great operating system, because so much of the
| computing experience now takes place online. In other words,
| Microsoft may not be the home team even in its core areas for
| much longer.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2006/12/27/can-a-geek-get-the-girl.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

Why Vista might be the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine this. One of the world's most powerful monopolies puts 10,000
| people to work for five years to create one new product. And nobody
| is really sure if anyone wants it. How's that for a gamble?
|
| That's what we have with Windows Vista, the new computer-operating
| system from Microsoft that debuted last week for businesses and,
| next month, for consumers.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003460386_btview04.html

Vista: Microsoft's Last 'Big Bang' Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet for all the design missteps, overly ambitious plans, and
| personnel changes that led to a five-year lag between versions
| of Windows, questions about the future of Microsoft's software
| are top of mind for customers and partners. Ballmer swears to
| never let as much time elapse between Windows versions; the
| question now is how the company can keep churning out
| innovative products on a compressed timetable.
`----

http://newz.byethost31.com/Microsoft_vista_last_big_bang_operating_system.htm

Is Vista the End of Windows as We Know It?

,----[ Quote ]
| The five-year long march to developing Windows Vista exposed just how
| broken Microsoft's Windows-development process is. It took far too
| long, major features were dropped along the way, and it was wrapped up
| in more red tape than the IRS. That's why I think that Vista will be the
| last of the "big-bang" Windows releases.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/is_vista_the_end_of_windows_as.html

Life After Vista: Can Microsoft Retool for Web?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a similar tug of war in the late 1990s, one internal faction
| lobbied to use Microsoft's Internet browser software to radically
| retool Windows for the Internet. But that faction lost out to a
| more PC-centric view of the Windows mission -- an outcome that some
| Microsoft insiders say is one reason the company fell behind in the
| Internet services Google and others now lead.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116459728069433263-K0zAOblcMz_...
http://tinyurl.com/yjngqj

Windows Vista the last of its kind