[News] Governments Become More Interested in (Real & Free) Standards

Cyberinfrastructure and the Public Interest

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that so many people are meeting in so many venues to
| discuss standards in non-technical contexts demonstrates the
| fact that something new and important is at work here. And the
| fact that many of these conferences are taking place in
| academic and government venues suggests that people are still
| trying to figure out what it's all about.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070430034335550

Yesterday, Microsoft had another anti-GPL plug in C|Net, using a column to
attack the FSF with one of its proxies/lobbyists.

Related:

State by state, Microsoft responds to creeping threat

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/state-state-microsoft-responds-assault/story.aspx?guid=%7BC0D943C4%2D4ADC%2D471C%2D8F87%2D9181A4EC3E7B%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2akafj

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183