Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Myths Are Breaking in India

__/ [ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 20 May 2007 07:29 \__

>> Showing interest - The myth that Linux is hard to use and expensive to
>> maintain is changing.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Many have observed that open source platforms such as Linux are
>> | more secure, and the amount of maintenance required is comparatively
>> | less.
>> `----
>
> The myth that seems the slowest to die is the idea that Linux
> requires lots of twiddling of text config files, downloading and
> compiling of source code, and in general is a geeks only OS.  Of
> course you and I know that with modern distros and package
> managers that is no longer true... but old impressions die
> slowly.  I've found that the easiest way to convince someone is
> to just sit them in front of a real Linux box and SHOW them how
> easy it is to find and install apps.

It (sort of) upsets me sometimes when people prepare Ubuntu Linux tutorials
which use apt-get and other command line utilities. Why do they do this?
Because it's quicker and its makes some people look more sophisticated (or
maybe they target a particular audience). At the same time, this gives the
wrong impression to those exploring Linux from afar or search the Web for a
solution. The GUI is right there, so it's a bit like showing someone how
'easy' Java is by demonstrating an assembly code-like library for
programming. Luckily, many tutorials nowadays as available as videos. The
pipes of the Web help a lot.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Those who can, Open-Source
Tasks: 109 total,   1 running, 105 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie