Re: Malware 'hijacks Windows Updates'

  • Subject: Re: Malware 'hijacks Windows Updates'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 02:51:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ flyer ] on Sunday 20 May 2007 01:31 \__

> In article <f2nd4g$h6t$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, p5000011@xxxxxxxxx
> says...
>> | Virus writers may be able to smuggle malicious files onto a computer
>> | using Microsoft's security patch updates, experts say.
>> |
>> | At least one program is in circulation that can hijack a key component
>> | of Windows Update to introduce malicious software that could be used
>> | to hijack a computer.
>> |
>> | The method bypasses users' firewall, allowing files to download
>> | undetected.
>> |
>> | Microsoft said it was aware of reports of the attack.
>> |
>> | Security expert Frank Boldewin said on his website reconstructer.org
>> | that he had recently noticed an e-mailed trojan - a type of program or
>> | message that looks benign but conceals a malicious payload - which was
>> | exploiting a Windows program known as the Background Intelligent
>> | Transfer Service (BITS).

> Widows quarantine looks better with every passing day.

This actually doesn't put the Web at (direct) risk, but if these boxes get
hijacked, they could soon flood the networks with garbage. Recently we have
disconnected a record number of people and, effects on workloads, I cannot
help feeling lucky. These people who are doing academic work lose their
connection for days and/or pay heavy fines. Additionally, they spend long
hours 'maintaining' or cleaning their PCs.

BTW, I think I'll be posting less about Windows in days to come. Windows
Vista and Longhorn are doing a lot of the work in a mouth-to-hear fashion.
People say they suck and begin considering alternatives. Even the press does
a lot of the work because the PR mask has broken apart (as has the $0.5
billion marketing budget). Maybe COLA will be more effective just
concentrating on Linux while people out there tell one another what a
nighmare Vista is.

--
                ~~ Best regards

         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S