[News] [Rival] Microsoft Suddenly Wants Patent Reform, Risks Lawsuits

Microsoft asserts patents, wants weaker system

,----[ Quote ]
| Other patent experts have suggested Microsoft's patent complaints
| don't make a lot of sense from a legal standpoint. The complaints,
| while possibly driving some customers away from open-source software,
| may make Microsoft the target of lawsuits from open-source developers
| seeking to prove they have not infringed, some patent experts have said.
|
| Open-source advocates, including
| Linux creator
| Linus Torvalds and long-time open-source advocate Eric S. Raymond,
| have said there's a simpler explanation for Microsoft's action:
| It's trying to create fear, uncertainty and doubt about open-source
| software.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070517/tc_infoworld/88636

Prepare for Microsoft to do some PR stunts like Blackboard. They also did
this with ODF yesterday.

Microsoft Windows and Office violate 532 patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| But what if I told you that Windows, Vista, Office, and other software
| from Microsoft violate 532 patents? Would that make you any less
| likely to use Microsoft software? What if I claimed the followinga
| lleged violations:
|
|     * Windows core operating system: 132
|     * .NET framework: 91
|     * Windows/Vista GUI: 83
|     * Microsoft Office: 159
|     * Other: 67
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=308

Days ago:

Alcatel-Lucent says $1.5 billion not enough from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Alcatel-Lucent said in a court filing that $1.5 billion is not
| enough to properly compensate it for Microsoft Corp.'s infringement
| of two digital audio patents.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/alcatel-lucent-says-15-billion-not/story.aspx?guid=%7B3B7D3262%2DF68F%2D4BEC%2D94C1%2D5C0A0EEE8021%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/36hu5v

Yesterday:

House takes small step toward revising patent law

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/House+takes+small+step+toward+revising+patent+law/2100-1028_3-6184473.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/3856y5