[News] [Linux] Scott McNealy Says a Quarter of Linux is from Sun

Indians are mavericks: Scott McNealy

,----[ Quote ]
| "The technology we have today will be obsolete in 18 months, so why not
| share it? Why to litigate and protect your IP. Instead share, publish
| and document it openly. At Sun, our strategy has always been towards
| the open environment, be it the source, business or communities.
| Around 25 per cent of Linux is Sun," he said while explaining
| that proprietary standards stifle progress.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/2007/107051708.asp

Another related perspective:

Fonality's Garrison Talks About Pros, Cons of Open Source During
Communications Developer Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Weighing the pros and cons, Garrison concluded by telling the audience
| that "open source can be rewarding - it presents an opportunity to
| work on larger projects than you could do on your own."
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/6937-fonalitys-garrison-talks-pros-cons-open-source-during.htm

This is precisely why Open Source encourages competition and helps the little
guy.