Re: [News] [Linux] Red Hat Going Strong Despite Oracle and Microvell

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Red Hat Rolls at Home And Abroad
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Red Hat is also making waves in Germany, which is the home of Novell
> | SUSE Linux development. Pinchev said he could not even count the number
> | of SUSE customers in Germany that have moved to Red Hat.
> `----
>
> http://asia.internet.com/news/article.php/3676756

Oh don't bother trying Pinchev, it is almost impossible to count how many
users you have. Oh hang on, it is actually very easy, all you have to do is
count how many users you have updating machines from rh.

How many of those came from Suse though? Well there you have me, I would say
it is impossible to count because they is nothing you receive that tells
you whether the new user used to be a Suse user.

So, you really can not count how many Suse customers have moved to Redhat,
it could be none, one or any other number you care to stab at.

So instead of FUD claiming that Redhat is stealing seats from Suse, can we
keep off that crap and just leave this as 'Redhat doing well in Germany'.
It can't be expanded on.

My personal opinion though is that Redhat are losing seats to SLES. They
have lost this company and it took a lot to persuade me to move from my
trouble free Redhats to SLES, SLES did it because it is far and away the
better product. Redhat is good, but SLES is better. Not necessarily better
in stability, they are the same, but SLES is more up to date, SLES takes
bigger risks which means that it is more inovative. Ok, that also means
that they can be problems, like post launch of 10.x, but it got solved.
SLES really is just a tiny bit behind openSuse, it has to be behind because
it must be a tested system, but when you see this it makes you wonder why
we stuck with Redhat for all those years. Example, the last Redhat server I
did came with MySQL3.x when SLES was on 4.x but offering 5.x as an option.
Same with PHP.

The only reason I say this is because I didn't like the attitude in that
post, it isn't to me what opensource and Linux is all about. Redhat also
are in my opinion getting further away from what Linux is all about. They
was a time I would have fought tooth and nail on Redhat's behalf if someone
had said that, but times have changed and frankly I have a strong feeling
that Oracle could do a better job at the top of that branch of Linux than
Redhat are capable of doing.