Re: Will Linspire be the next to cave to Microsoft Extortion?

__/ [ Jeanette Russo ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 17:08 \__

> This week, Microsoft laid out the next chapter in their plans regarding
> patents and open source Linux software, by going public with the claim
> that Linux infringes on some 235 of their software patents. The first
> chapter in this story began back in November of last year, when
> Microsoft entered into a agreement with Novell. The agreement included
> technical collaboration between Microsoft and Novell, in an effort to
> bring better interoperability between MS Windows and Linux. However, as
> I pointed out at the time, the main thrust of this agreement was really
> about patents and was Microsoft's way of trying to monetize any success
> Linux might have. Since this time, Dell too has entered the playing
> field, by announcing its plans to begin offering Novell's Linux products
> which include a promise from Microsoft not to sue users over any
> infrigements of Microsoft's alleged IP.
>
> These events, in my opinion, form the most important dynamic today as to
> the future success of Linux. How will all of this affect open source
> software and Linux? What should the open source community do? And...what
> will Linspire do?
>

> http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter_archives.php?id=45

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/05/16/innovation-tax/#comment-713

"Linspire and Kevin Carmony want to violate the spirit of the GPLv2 like
Novell IMO.

Unlike Novell?s agreement, I belive that this idea will still be legal under
the GPLv3 (although of crouse Novell?s will be too with the grandfather
clause)

Please read this message board thread based on an article from
Kevin Carmony..."

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
roy      pts/3                         Wed May 16 14:23   still logged in