Re: [News] [Rival] More Proof That Windows Vista is a Big Leap Backwards

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 16 May 2007 09:56 \__

> [...]
>> | an XP Pro Virtual Machine that was running on top of Vista.
>> | Mysteriously, it took him about eight seconds to delete the 23GB
>> | of files he wanted to get rid of. Using Vista on the same machine
>> | took him more than 25 minutes.
>> |

> 25 minutes!!!
>
> I wonder if it was moving it to a recycle bin rather than deleting it. But
> even then I often wondered why MS didn't take the UNIX/Linux approach to
> moving files, i.e. there isn't a need to actually move the data of the file
> unless it is going onto a different volume, in LVM that improves further
> because as long as the physical drive is still in the same group no data
> needs to be moved when you move a file.
>

>> I don't think the author knows about this:
>>
>> Notes on Vista forensics
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The problems are not only related to forensic software, however, and
>> | while some may be addressed with a simple driver update others may
>> | be considered even more fundamental as Scott A Moulton of Forensic
>> | Strategy Services, LLC. explains: "I still have major problems
>> | mounting large drives under Vista. I use many 1 terabyte or 2
>> | terabyte drives and Vista is absolutely worthless on these drives -
>
> I wondered what the maximum size for a volume might be for Vista, it isn't
> easy to find out because I found a lot of very different answers.
>
>         96      Tbytes
>         256     Tbytes
>         2       Tbytes
>         16      Tbytes
>
> I hope that clears that question up for you all.
>
>> | I'm lucky if Vista does not actually mess the drive up. Deleting
>> | files is a nightmare and sometimes takes days. Just simply copying
>> | files is so slow it is unbearable.
>> |

> Excuse me, I think I must have gone deaf. Did he say 'days'?
>
>> | "I received quite a few responses from people who have had similar
>> | issues and it seems that DRM [Digital Rights Management] may be the
>> | most probable cause. They've found that Vista tries to check each
>> | file to see if there is a protection flag on it or not before even
>> | deleting the file."
>> `----
>>

> 'Tries to check'? What does it do if it finds it can not check, delete them
> anyway? (This is Vista so the answer may well be 'yes').
>
> Linux and XP also check that you have the rights to delete a file before
> performing the action, but it doesn't take 'days' to do it, what does Vista
> do write a letter to your IT department asking if it's ok to delete
> something then sit waiting for a letter in the post? I know NTFS is naff
> but it can't be That bad.
>

> Not just this problem, but every day there are Vista problems coming up,
> many of them very serious indeed. I know Vista was on beta testing for some
> time, surely it can't have been as bad as this in testing, or did MS simply
> ignore the test reports? Well we have had more than a few clues to suggest
> that MS knew exactly how bad Vista was but released it anyway.

Many operations in Vista are a step back in terms of speed. Here are some
examples:

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
| Copying files from my XP video capture pc to my Vista pc is 3 times
| slower than copying from my XP video capture PC to my old XP PC.
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a server
on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer

,----[ Quote ]
| On a Windows Vista-based computer, when you try to copy files from a
| server on a network, the copy process may stop responding (hang), and
| you may receive a message that resembles the following:
|
| Calculating Time Remaining
|
| 0 minutes remaining

Speed is also affected by other factors (intervention), e.g.:

Vista Irritations

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this Slashdot article, copying, moving and deleting
| files is slower under Vista. At least now I know why extracting a
| compressed file under Vista is like watching paint dry/grass grow
| (I've only tried using Winzip 11).
|
| [...]
|
| Now we name our directory and it?s done right? Not quite, because
| after typing your directory name and pressing enter, it's time
| for yet more prompts...
`----

http://harrisben.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/vista-irritations/

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
| versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
| on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
| Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
| Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
| recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
| you want snappy performance.
|
| [...]
|
| The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
| feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
| ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
| appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
`----

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/BusinessWeek/2007/03/26/3124001

Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17334
--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes