Re: [News] [Linux] Short Ubuntu Review and Stress Testing

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Short Ubuntu Review and Stress Testing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 07:38:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 19:36 \__

>> Testing the limits of Beryl
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Here are some screenshots which test the limits of beryl. It
>> | crashed at around 160 open windows.
>> `----
>>
>> http://forum.beryl-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2928
>
> If you read to the end of the thread, some guy actually managed full 3D
> effects on 249 open windows simultaneously, with zero lag (except for
> the tile effect for some reason).

I generally find that the design of Linux involves less heuristics and more
science. The kernel is developed by scientists/engineers, sometimes with a
similar audience in mind. As such, stress testing and edge cases are tested.
Power users are assumed, rather than a grandfather whose main use for the PC
is writing a letter every now and then. I sometimes have over 50 windows
open, I have 16 dual-head virtual desktops, and I usually have about 100-150
tasks running, with just 512 MB of RAM.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/4                         Wed May 16 02:48 - 02:49  (00:01)