Re: 'It'll be ugly when half the software industry goes away' - pundit

  • Subject: Re: 'It'll be ugly when half the software industry goes away' - pundit
  • From: "Martha Adams" <mhada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 04:15:47 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I think this discussion loses something major.  Namely: at what
level is today's software industry with respect to what the world
needs?  Where are we with respect to the knee of that curve?

For example.  My business is plain text fiction.  The knee of the
curve for me, was when I had MicroEmacs running in an msdos
with Mix software's unix utilities added; a good text formatter,
and a letter quality dot matrix printer.  Nothing that has evolved
since, has improved utility and my productivity.   I have in fact,
lost substantial time and effort trying to use this new stuff.

That is how my personal experience leads me to question the
forecasts of doom & gloom, and other economic issues around
the software industries.  When someone recasts this talk in
ways that bring in the need vs utility curve and its knee, then I'll
be interested with what's said about this topic.

Cheers -- Martha Adams            [cola 2007 May 15]