Re: [News] [Linux] Ease of Use in GNU/Linux: A Case Study

[H]omer had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 15-05-07 20:57:

There's certainly nothing easy about running Windows, except for the
ease with which it can be irrecoverably broken.

So yeah, I was familiar with Windows alright ... far too familiar.

So am I. The thing that every Windows user needs, is a Linux live CD with K3B on it, a program to burn CDs or DVDs with, so that data may be recovered when Windows does not boot anymore. Several times already I have saved data for friends of mine when their Windows installation suddenly collapsed and the computer could no longer boot, not even in safe mode.

When I visit them, I take a few CDs with me: MCNLive (Dutch Mandriva Live CD)+ empty CDs and an empty DVD; also a CD with the newest programs (and updates), like OOo, Firefox and plugins like Noscript and Adblockplus, Thunderbird, ZoneAlarm free, AVG antivirus and antispyware, Hosts.zip, Hijackthis.exe, Startup.exe, Spywareblaster.exe, Spybots&d.exe, Adaware.exe, Irfanview.exe+plugins, Windowsdefender. The third CD is PartitionMagic. All this makes a useful tookit to salvage data or clean an infected Windows Computer.

That's why I'm using Linux.

Exactly.

Erik Jan.