Re: Novell's de Icaza: No Mono-tony in this project

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 15:30 \__

> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1192877795;fp;2;fpid;4
>
> "Miguel de Icaza has led the Mono Project, which implements Microsoft's
> .NET development platform on Linux and Unix-like platforms, since it was
> announced in 2001. In that time de Icaza's enthusiasm for the project has
> remained fervent. He blogs regularly on Mono and related development tools,
> attends many development conferences promoting Mono, was a keen supporter
> of the recent Race to Linux 2.0 developer project, and is again mentoring
> young developers in Google's Summer of Code. de Icaza, who is vice
> president of developer platforms at Novell, took time out of his busy
> schedule to talk to Computerworld."

Mono is a legal curse, which particularly at this time of saber rattling is a
bad idea. Unlike junk patents like menu layouts and mouse clicks (Microsoft
patented the double click, IIRC), Mono is en entire Redmondian framework
that de Icaza has been mimicking.

I'm afraid that I do not trust this guy. He has friends at Microsoft where he
also came for a job interview in the past. After some arguments that I had
over Mono with a prominent figure whose name I can reveal, things have
changed. Yesterday I received a message indicating that he had changed his
mind (the Forbes article). He gave Novell the benefit of the doubt, but no
more. Now he wants to join the Novell Boycott, having been an apologist for
Mono.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
Mem:    514480k total,   342612k used,   171868k free,    12628k buffers