Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Mimics Bush Administration's Mistakes

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 13:11 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Competitive ads in a turf you do not own:
>>
>> Google's Browser Address Error Redirector
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Google has partnerships with computer hardware makers like Dell or
>> | Gateway to set the default search and the homepage to Google on
>> | new computers. By default, if you type a non-existent address in
>> | Internet Explorer's address bar, you're sent to a special
>> | Microsoft homepage that suggests some related links. Google
>> | decided this is a lucrative feature, so they install a Browser
>> | Address Error Redirector that replaces Microsoft's redirects.
>> `----
>>

> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/05/googles-browser-address-error.html
>>

> No Google, thanks for the offer but when I make a mistake in the address
> bar I want it left alone so I can correct it.
>
> It's like those that send you off to a domain name registration site, all
> it really means is that you have to type the whole thing all over again.
>
> Leave the address bar alone google, that isn't where you belong.

I agree with you on that one. In Firefox, a word entered into the address bar
involked the "I'm feeling lucky" thing with a redirect. That's how Mozilla
is making millions (among other things). Web browser hijack? An integration
too tight?

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
Mem:    514480k total,   482084k used,    32396k free,     5992k buffers