Re: [News] [Linux] Alan Cox Now Supports GPLv3

> Linux guru backs new GNU licence
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Open source guru Alan Cox has voiced his support for the
>| controversial version 3.0 of the GNU General Public Licence
>| in an exclusive podcast interview with Computer Weekly.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/10/223693/linux-guru-backs-new-gnu-licence.htm
>
> Time for Novell shareholders to shell out money for thousands of forks. Linus
> likes the changes to the draft as well.

<snippage of GPL3 for Apache work>

I knew that everyone would come around to my way of thinking here in the
end.  It was essential that the trojan-horse and submarine patent
approaches were eliminated as soon as possible.  It was also important
for the free software world to show to everyone that using trickery to
attempt to circumvent the /intent/ of the GPL would not be accepted,
indeed, would be actively fought.

I suspect that the folk at Novell are waiting on the edges of their
seats, desperately hoping for early GPL3 adoption as the means of
getting them off their rather nasty hook, without having to ever admit
having done anything wrong.

Of course, the recent US anti-software-patent ruling will also help
things along.