[News] [OSS] Sun Joins the Open Source Preaching in India

McNealy to pitch for open source in India

,----[ Quote ]
| The world doesn't seem to understand that open technology is free
| and there are absolutely no barriers to entry, says Scott McNealy,
| co-founder and chairman of Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Business/India_Business/McNealy_to_pitch_for_open_source_in_India/articleshow/2036053.cms
http://tinyurl.com/34xoys

Searching for Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
| We're on yet another Intellectual Property search mission. This
| princess bride is pursued through the dread pirate "Open Source,"
| mysterious and fell. How can you make money with Open Source? How
| can you create IP with Open Source? How to make and keep a hoard
| for your VC horde?
|
| One avenue to Open Source profitability is symbiosis. For example,
| Red Hat recognized Linux had not been "socialized." You could get
| Linux for free, but since there was no support for it, using it
| required a "kernel hacker" skill set beyond most administrator's
| capability.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/ittroubleshooter/archives/2007/05/searching_for_i.html

A couple of days ago:

Palmisano Preaches Openness In India

,----[ Quote ]
| He stressed "openness" in business to the Indian CEOs as one of the
| forces that attracts investment. "To cause work to flow to you --to
| your nation, to your region, to your city -- you must have an
| attractive business environment and increasingly a vital element
| of that is 'openness.'"
|
| In the still highly protectionist country where global tech majors
| like IBM (nyse: IBM - news - people ) are aggressively expanding,
| going up against each other and local firms for low-cost talent
| and resources, Palmisano advocated the benefits of "open trade
| and a balanced approach to intellectual property."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/10/palmisano-ibm-india-markets-equity-cx_0509markets29.html?partner=yahootix

"Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

,----[ Quote ]
| Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
| MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

That's where Microsoft tried to drive them into embracing software patents
and choose a closed-minded (or source) approach. Trojan horse.