[News] Google Goes for the Enterprise, Microsoft 'Pals' Defend Windows

Google has big plans for corporate services, expert says

,----[ Quote ]
| Google may be known as the Web search advertising company but Google
| has big plans for offering services to corporations, says Stephen
| Arnold, author of The Google Legacy and a Google patent scrutinizer.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9718633-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Does The Choice Of Operating System Matter Anymore?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of last year, Jason Maynard, a software research analyst at
| Credit Suisse, predicted that Microsoft's new OS Vista would be the last of
| the "big bang" operating system releases from Microsoft...
|
| At Gartner's 2006 Fall Symposium, Vice President in Gartner Research
| Brian Gammage, in his "Client Computing Scenario" presentation, said
| that while operating system-agnostic applications are on the rise
| it's not time to declare that desktop operating systems and
| OS-specific applications no longer matter.
|
| Importance Of Applications
|
| According to Gartner's Research Vice President Michael Silver, "While many
|                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| newer applications are OS-agnostic, older ones are not, and legacy stays
| installed 'forever.' It's not uncommon to have 10- to 15-year-old apps.
| We'd estimate that around 70 to 80% of the typical enterprise's apps still
| require Windows.?
`----

http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Fp2919%2F33p19%2F33p19.asp&guid=&searchtype=&WordList=&bJumpTo=True

Related:

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Just days after banning Enderle from discussing Microsoft because
| he has Microsoft as a client, the Times quoted Gartner analyst
| Michael Silver and AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy in a story
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| about Microsoft's Windows and Office software.
|       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
| experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
| vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
|                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
|                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
| ^^^^^^^^                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| company.
|
| And, sure enough, he appears a number of times on Microsoft's
| own site and thousands of times in stories about Microsoft.
|
| Jim Murphy - wait for it - covers Microsoft too and is even more
| prolific than Silver.
|
| [...]
|
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

As Microsoft looks ahead, will Vista be the end of an era?

,----[ Quote ]
| Once installed in the post, Mr Ozzie wrote an internal company
| memo that mapped out the challenges that face Microsoft. The
| message was clear: get Google, get with the internet and wean
| Microsoft off Windows as we know it.
|
| "Through Google's focus they?ve gained a tremendously strong
| position," he said. "[Microsoft] must respond quickly and decisively
| . . . It's clear that if we fail to do so, our business as we know
| it is at risk."
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13129-2494732,00.html

Why Vista might be the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine this. One of the world's most powerful monopolies puts 10,000
| people to work for five years to create one new product. And nobody
| is really sure if anyone wants it. How's that for a gamble?
|
| That's what we have with Windows Vista, the new computer-operating
| system from Microsoft that debuted last week for businesses and,
| next month, for consumers.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003460386_btview04.html

Vista: Microsoft's Last 'Big Bang' Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet for all the design missteps, overly ambitious plans, and
| personnel changes that led to a five-year lag between versions
| of Windows, questions about the future of Microsoft's software
| are top of mind for customers and partners. Ballmer swears to
| never let as much time elapse between Windows versions; the
| question now is how the company can keep churning out
| innovative products on a compressed timetable.
`----

http://newz.byethost31.com/Microsoft_vista_last_big_bang_operating_system.htm

Is Vista the End of Windows as We Know It?

,----[ Quote ]
| The five-year long march to developing Windows Vista exposed just how
| broken Microsoft's Windows-development process is. It took far too
| long, major features were dropped along the way, and it was wrapped up
| in more red tape than the IRS. That's why I think that Vista will be the
| last of the "big-bang" Windows releases.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/is_vista_the_end_of_windows_as.html

Life After Vista: Can Microsoft Retool for Web?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a similar tug of war in the late 1990s, one internal faction
| lobbied to use Microsoft's Internet browser software to radically
| retool Windows for the Internet. But that faction lost out to a
| more PC-centric view of the Windows mission -- an outcome that some
| Microsoft insiders say is one reason the company fell behind in the
| Internet services Google and others now lead.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116459728069433263-K0zAOblcMz_...
http://tinyurl.com/yjngqj

Windows Vista the last of its kind