[News] [Rival] The Sonia Arrison Shill Strikes Again

Giving Bad Policies Another Whirl

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in 2002, open source Open Source zealots tried to convince
| California legislators to pass the "Digital Software Security Act,"
| which would have forced state agencies to use open source
| software exclusively.

Along with Rob Enderle, she seems to be spreading FUD about Linux projects
like the OLPC. It's possible that she is 'possessed'. This isn't the first
self-serving column which suggests this.

Related:

California to Start Review of Voting Machines

,----[ Quote ]
| Vendors have time to submit their machines including documentation
| and source code until July 1st or face severe restrictions, including
| decertification, for the 2008 elections. Scheduled to start next week,
| the review will include a red-team attack and going through the
| source code.
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/09/2140206&from=rss

California Assembly Bill 1668

,----[ Quote ]
| This is pretty self-explanatory. (2) and (3) are there to ensure
| that whatever the solution, it must not be controlled by any
| single organization or entity. (1) is there so as not to lock
| the user into any platform. And (4) just means that whatever
| document standard is used should be under the auspices of a
| transparent standards body.
`----

http://www.bytesfree.org/bfblog/index.php/2007/04/10/california-assembly-bill-1668/

Microsoft asking people to write leters opposing California A.B. 1668 - Open
Document Format

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20070406122736199&title=Microsoft+asking+people+to+write+leters+opposing+California+A.B.+1668+-+Open+Document+Format%2C&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=555070#c555168
http://tinyurl.com/2gfrz6

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Notes from JEDE Committee Hearing [on AB 1668, ODF in California]

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the more disappointing aspects of the hearing is that none of
| the bill's proponents made the moral argument - it's the right thing
| to do because government should not be in the business of handing
| competitive advantages to businesses. I don't understand why this
| argument wasn't made, particularly when the bill's opponents made
| the moral argument against, eg. "it's wrong to oppose free markets,"
| "government shouldn't mandate competitive advantage," etc.
|
| I also don't understand why no one pointed out that Microsoft has
| been free to participate in the standards body process for ODF and
| has chosen to go their own route, instead. I understand why Sun and
| others want to make the issue less about ODF, but someone needs to
| call Microsoft on the fact that their arguments are completely
| disengenuous.
`----

http://www.bytesfree.org/bfblog/index.php/2007/04/19/notes-from-jede-committee-hearing/

Microsoft Shilling and Astroturfing