Re: Palm Unveils a Two-Hander

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Thursday 31 May 2007 21:54 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Like the OLPC unit (educational tool), some people compare it to the wrong
>> thing. The device has a very specific purpose in mind and it suits a niche
>> market. For that, it's an excellent and affordable solution. For quite
>> some time I have had the same issues with my Palm... need to unfold a
>> keyboard and then find a surface, but even then, the screen is too small
>> to write something long and then take a good view from above.
>>

> Yes, very much.  I think for too long manufacturers have ignored the
> most basic of ergonometric contraints -- the human hands, and position
> of the eyes.
>
> PDAs just do not work, nor do smart phones.
>
> The OLPC recognized this, and the importance of typing text for a real
> computer to be viable.
>
> The Palm machine does the same.
>
> It's reality speaking -- not the hoopla of "look what i can put in a
> thing the size of cigarett pack" -- but "here's the smallest real
> computer that's usable that I can build".

It won't sell as much as Apple's iPod, but it has its niche, which is
probably BlackBerry users.

--
                ~~ Best regards

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.
Tasks: 156 total,   3 running, 149 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie