[News] [SOT] Predatory Industry Drives Business Away?

Chinese chip market continues to soar

,----[ Quote ]
| After major expansion by 39.8 per cent in 2004, now average growth
| rates will range from between 10 to 20 per cent, the firm said.

Globalization vs. Immigration Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| If Pritchett is right, immigration seems likely to increase rather
| than decrease in the future, just as trade and communications
| between countries have grown by leaps and bounds. And no piece
| of legislation, no matter how finely balanced, is likely to
| change that.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_23/b4037042.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/3xym9v

With thousands of sackings in Motorola and IBM yesterday, this seems
relevant. Intel moves its jobs elsewhere and so do Microsoft and Novell (on
the face of it). USPTO drives innovation away, too.

Related:

Intel Settles Legal Dispute in China

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

Bill Gates: The next great success will come from Asia

,----[ Quote ]
| According to him, Microsoft established its first research center
| in Asia about 10 years ago and currently is spending 60 percent
| of its research and development budget in Asia.
`----

http://english1.people.com.cn/200704/22/eng20070422_368644.html

Bill Gates to address Senate panel

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to descend on Capitol Hill
| next week to pepper a U.S. Senate committee with his suggestions for
| boosting American competitiveness.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6163930.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking before a Senate committee earlier this month, Gates said
| that America is facing a critical shortage of tech workers. He
| recommended boosting the number of H-1B visas to allow more foreign
| tech workers into the U.S.
|
| [...]
|
| "I think that has created an environment where the population of advanced
| skill workers has shrunk a lot in the U.S., because we just haven't created
| a fair system," he says. "Where if you go to other countries, you'll find
| national policy around broadband deployment, which creates a much more even
| playing field for people of all income levels to learn by and work by."
|
| "We did it to ourselves," he says.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376

Microsoft Sending All XP and Vista Tech Support Calls To India?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/microsoft/microsoft-sending-all-xp-and-vista-tech-support-calls-to-india-245048.php