[News] [Linux] Linux Devices Become a Challenge/Disruptors to Exiting Market

Move Over, iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, it's a linux device, and no, there is no way to lock it.
| Furthermore, you will likely never be able to purchase it from your
| local wireless carrier for pennies, along with a two-year commitment.
| When people are looking for carriers and handset makers to break open
| that walled garden, what they're really looking for is for mobile
| devices to be more like PCs (install whatever you want on it, use
| it the way you'd like to, support it yourself), and for the
| wireless data connection to be more like the internet (flat-rate,
| all-you-can-eat, don't mess with my packets). These are market
| concepts which are rather foreign to the carriers whose
| networks we depend on.
`----

http://www.ianbell.com/2007/05/30/move-over-iphone/

My ideal laptop has possibly just arrived

,----[ Quote ]
| Other ports include an SD card slot and VGA out. There's also a
| CompactFlash slot under the battery so you can expand memory there.
| Onboard RAM is 256MB. Given the platform is running a tweaked Linux
| this shouldn't (hopefully) be a problem.

Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
| than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
| product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
| preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
| mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/forget_iphone_hail_openmoko_the_true_revolution

Open Phones with Open Moko

,----[ Quote ]