[News] [Linux] Eben Moglen Advises That Novell/Microsoft Eliminate Patent-related Parts of Their Deal

Eben Moglen: MS should remove patents from Novell agreement (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| In this segment of our week-long series of video excerpts from our
| interview with Professor Eben Moglen at last week's Red Hat Summit
| in San Diego, he explains why it could be disastrous for Microsoft
| to continue the patent aggression that is part of their Novell
| agreement.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1640207&tid=41&tid=12

Kill the patents, kill the problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever Novell's motivations in its dealing with Microsoft and
| subsequently with the EFF, the fact remains that if software
| patents are shown to be the harmful and counterproductive
| mistake we believe them to be, the industry will benefit in
| many ways. The community must remain united with this in mind.
| Nothing else matters.
`----

http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39287268,00.htm?r=2

The Patent Puzzle

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent fights are fights about money. The secondary issue, the one
| that makes the headlines, is control. To really understand what's
| going on in the current patent posturing involving Microsoft, Novell,
| and a host of open-source companies and groups, it helps to keep
| those factors firmly in mind.

Novell Tries Striking Delicate Balance on Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| So when Microsoft claimed Linux and some of its open source programs
| violate 235 of its patents last week - and held up its agreement with
| Novell as the template for the royalty payments it wants from
| everybody - Novell must have wanted to hide under the bed wrapped
| in a flame mail-retardant blankie.
`----

http://wireless.sys-con.com/read/381705_p.htm

Why SCO Does Not Own the Unix Copyrights

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ip-wars.net/?op=displaystory;sid=2007/5/28/143137/155