Re: [News] [SOT] AMD/NVidia Price Fixing?

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 30 May 2007 04:20 \__

>> [Okay, so it's now official:]
>>
>> NVIDIA Facing 51 Pending Lawsuits
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | NVIDIA under fire for anti-competitive and price fixing business
>> | practices
>> `----
>
> Doesn't surprise me.
>
> What we need is for the same thing to happen to nVidia/ATI as what
> happened to Creative Labs ... i.e. the onboard chipsets became "good
> enough" that the overpriced outboard units became mostly irrelevant.
>
> Of course both nVidia and ATI/AMD fingered *that* pie a long time ago,
> and so are in a position to "cook" it to serve their own purposes, i.e.
> keep the *really* good stuff off the motherboard, and keep their
> precious "trade secrets" locked away.
>
> It constantly surprises me that the worlds biggest semiconductor
> manufacturer is so inept at creating anything even remotely worthy of
> challenging the evil twins. Surely Intel can come up with a half decent
> onboard solution to the current market leaders.
>
> Bah. This is like party politics; it doesn't matter who one votes for,
> it's the same corrupt puppet master pulling the strings behind the
> scenes. Bring on Open Hardware initiatives.

These already exist, I think (or are in the making). FWIW, Intel's cost of
producing a CPU was about 29 bucks last years. Makes you think what you pay
for...

The following good video covers price fixing and the nagative impact:

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/04/23/antitrust-monopoly/

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
Cpu(s):  23.0% user,   4.4% system,   0.6% nice,  72.0% idle