[News] [Rival] Gartner Still Shares Bed with Microsoft?

Proprietary vs Open Source: The Fight Continues

,----[ Quote ]
| Asheesh Raina, principal research analyst for Gartner's Software Group
| said, "We believe that Microsoft is strengthening its patent portfolio
| to rectify the exploitation of its Intellectual Property (IP) by
| technology providers that generate substantial revenue from OSS
| including Linux."
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,1209,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html

Compare with:

http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=052807_microsoft_takes_aim_open_source.htm

"Internet Information Server (IIS) has been losing ground to the free Apache
software, while SQL has been fighting off competition from the free open
source version called MySql. Website developers are turning to the free web
programming language called PHP (stands for Personal Home Page), instead of
paying Microsoft (MS) for their programming languages. Fewer and fewer web
hosting companies are providing MS solutions. The development community has
turned their efforts to open source solutions (LAMP Linux Apache MySQL
PHP)."

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/talkback/0,1000001161,39287221-39001070c-20085333o,00.htm

Microsoft can no longer innovate effectively.

Related:

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/