[News] [Linux] GPLv3 Not Just About Microsoft/Novell; Some New Findings

Eben Moglen: GPLv3 not about MS and Novell (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Professor Moglen explains briefly about GPLv3's work on globalization
| of the software license, preventing harm to others by members of
| the community, and the most contentious in earlier drafts, DRM.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1616214&from=rss

Parsing the details of the Microsoft-Novell pact

,----[ Quote ]
| And while it's suspicious that Novell dropped these filings late Friday
| before a long weekend, I'll give the company a pass. The filings were
| ridiculously late due to stock options backdating so why make theS
| ecurities and Exchange Commission wait? Just get the filings over
| with already--it's not like we didn't know they were coming.
|
| [...]
|
| The takeaways from that passage:
|
|     * Novell may not get the payola it's getting accustomed to
|       from Microsoft;
|     * It's clear that Microsoft's patent statements are really about
|       calling a GPLv3 truce;
|     * Novell has to be worried since I?d argue that the Microsoft
|       pact is one of the big reasons SUSE Linux is getting traction in
|       the enterprise.
`----

Indeed. The EFF joining and the fight against USPTO, not to mention
denouncing of Microsoft's claims, are just defensive moves. Novell enjoys
Microsoft's anti-Linux FUD, which makes Novell seem like a safe haven (at
the expense of all else).

| At the end of the document, Microsoft outlines its patents pledge to
| hobbyist developers and openSUSE.org developers.
|
| The message seems to be: Cut deals with Microsoft on patents and
| you'll be exonerated.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5169

More comments in Groklaw and LWN: