[News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Attempt at 'Student Grab'?

U.S. Colleges Retool Programming Classes

,----[ Quote ]
| Georgia Tech, which has branded the robot the "new face of computing," is
| hoping that the class can be a new national model to teach students
| computing. To Microsoft Corp., which is investing $1 million to jump-start
| the program at Georgia Tech and Bryn Mawr, it's investment in what could
| become its work force.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070528/reprogramming_programmers.html?.v=2

And without free market, here's what happens:

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/5/27/20608

Related:

Unicon Assists Georgia Tech with Transition to Open Source Sakai from
Proprietary Learning Management System

,----[ Quote ]
| "We believe they made the right choice as the open source Sakai will
| give them a much lower total cost of ownership, allow them to own
| and control their own software enhancements, and also allow them
| to contribute to and participate in the growing and thriving
| Sakai community."
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070326005977&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/28ldrt

The following project from Microsoft failed by the way...

Microsoft plans innovative new school in Knowsley says Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
|  Tailored to meet local community needs, the Innovative Schools will be
| rolled out in 12 locations around the world including United Kingdom,
| Ireland, France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Qatar, Canada, Mexico, Brazil,
| Chile and Hong Kong.
|
| Microsoft's innovative Schools initiative works with governments,
| teachers and partners around the world to modernise schools to meet
| the challenges of 21st Century learning. The initiative was initially
| used to develop the Philadelphia School of the Future, opened in the
| United States September last year.
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7607
http://tinyurl.com/3dlthl

The Philadelphia Experiment: Microsoft-Designed School Opens

,----[ Opening paragraph ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates has famously called high schools "obsolete"
| and warned about their effect on U.S. competitiveness. Now, his company has
| a chance to prove that it can help fix the woes of public education.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060907/school_of_the_future.html?.v=1

Welcome to college, here's your Windows Live account

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, in an attempt to spread the word about Windows Live, has struck
| a deal with 72 colleges all across the world. And what is this said deal?
| The colleges have agreed to let Microsoft host their students'
| e-mail accounts.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/4/23/3719

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376