Re: Dell's New Linux Website

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 26 May 2007 04:41 \__

> In addition to the aforementioned:
>
> http://www.dell.com/open
>
> There's now also:
>
> http://linux.dell.com/
>
> Which they describe as their "Dell Linux Engineering Web".
>
> Looks like their new-found love for Linux is more than just a PR stunt.
> Dell are deadly serious about Linux. Sweaty must have gone through a
> *stack* of chairs in the last couple of days, especially after seeing
> the huge Ubuntu advert right at the top of Dell's front page.
>
> Seems like a lot of effort to go to for what the Munchkins claim is a
> "tiny market share". Maybe Dell know something the Shill's don't.

Afterthought...

What if some [poor|cheap] people decided to pick the Linux-loaded Dells and
install pirated Windows on these? Those machine are, after all, cheaper.
This could give a great boost to perceived Linux sales, just like in China
and India. Linux will still be there in case they wish to explore. Microsoft
could also use this as an argument against offering Linux preinstalled for a
cheaper price. That's just what they do in Asia. They have just got a large
lump of money from the Chinese (Lenovo: $1.3 billion), having gotten them
'addicted' over the year (see below).

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

'Collection' time? Who pays the Bill?

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie