Re: [News] [Roy Lying Again] Tux500 (Linux at the Indy 500) Hits C|Net

On Sat, 26 May 2007 01:14:50 -0500, thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Chris B. <chrisb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ sniped from your .sig ... ]
>> "I sometimes have over 50 windows open, I have 16 dual-head virtual
>> desktops, and I usually have about 100-150 tasks running, with just
>> 512 MB of RAM." - The Liar Roy Schestowitz
>
> I just curious why you felt compelled to quote the above in your sig.
> I assume from the 'Liar' bit that you doubt it is possible, but I've
> ran far more on even lower end hardware and without it breaking a
> sweat.  Right now I'm running 230 processes with over 60 windows
> open and 16 virtual desktops (I don't have dual head system).  My
> current CPU utilization is around 0.5% as most of those processes
> are spending most of their time waiting on I/O (being terminal
> shells or status monitors).  I have a gig of RAM in this system,
> but according to the free command I would not be paging even if I
> had half that.
>
> I'm just curious what was so sig worthy about Roy's claim.

I can't speak for him, but I know why *I* would doubt such a claim, and
more importantly yours.  I don't think you're lying, per se, but I think
you might have got something wrong.

230 Processes in 512MB would mean that each process was using, on average,
just over 2MB per process.  That seems somewhat reasonable, unless we look
at those processes.

X.org, which both of you say are running with 60+ windows, means you'll be
using a great deal of that 512MB just for that.  Assuming you have
wallpaper and are running a modern window manager, you'd be using at a
minimum 100MB just for all the X related memory.  That means you only have
400 or so left for applications.

Of that 400, you'll be using a good chunk just for disk buffers and caches.
While this memory is technically available to the OS for purging, in
practice the OS always reserves some.  The OS will page applications before
completely discarding all buffers and caches.  So let's put that at 50MB.
(this number is tunable, but seems to default to larger sizes for larger
amounts of installed memory, thus a box with 128MB would reserve less
memory)

You now have 350MB of remaining application memory without swapping.  Of
that 350MB, That means, on average, each app can use up to about 1.2MB of
memory.  I don't know of many X apps that use that little of an amount of
memory, most are in the 10+MB range, and apps like Firefox can use upwards
of 100MB alone if you have a lot of tabs open, even more if you don't tune
the page cache.

Heck, apps like sshd use about 8.2MB of memory on average.  sendmail about
9MB, bash about 6.2. Login is using 3.1 MB.  Cupsd about 8.5.

Let's say you have 60 X Apps, and each is using 5MB each, that's 300MB
alone.  And that's being VERY generous on the memory usage of X apps.

Now, I suppose you might be running 60 copies of the same app, in which
case you'll have a large shared memory footprint, and that might explain
what you see.. but it's not quite what is being implied by the claims.
Also, kde or gnome based apps might share a lot of libraries, but still on
average they're going to take a few MB of their own memory.

Also, when one says 100-150 tasks, one assumes they're talking about users
tasks, not system processes, since a virtually idle system doing nothing
runs about 30-60 tasks alone.

The following is a tasklist of a freshly installed Centos box, followed by
a free command.  Notice that with virtually *NOTHING* running but sendmail,
a few bash shells, getty's, cups, etc... it's still using almost 100MB.
Where'd it all go?

  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
    1 ?        S      0:06 init [3]
    2 ?        S      0:00 [migration/0]
    3 ?        SN     0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
    4 ?        S      0:00 [migration/1]
    5 ?        SN     0:00 [ksoftirqd/1]
    6 ?        S      0:00 [migration/2]
    7 ?        SN     0:00 [ksoftirqd/2]
    8 ?        S      0:00 [migration/3]
    9 ?        SN     0:00 [ksoftirqd/3]
   10 ?        S<     0:00 [events/0]
   11 ?        S<     0:00 [events/1]
   12 ?        S<     0:00 [events/2]
   13 ?        S<     0:00 [events/3]
   14 ?        S<     0:00 [khelper]
   15 ?        S<     0:00 [kacpid]
   46 ?        S<     0:00 [kblockd/0]
   47 ?        S<     0:00 [kblockd/1]
   48 ?        S<     0:00 [kblockd/2]
   49 ?        S<     0:00 [kblockd/3]
   67 ?        S      0:00 [pdflush]
   68 ?        S      0:00 [pdflush]
   70 ?        S<     0:00 [aio/0]
   71 ?        S<     0:00 [aio/1]
   72 ?        S<     0:00 [aio/2]
   73 ?        S<     0:00 [aio/3]
   50 ?        S      0:00 [khubd]
   69 ?        S      0:00 [kswapd0]
  217 ?        S      0:00 [kseriod]
  355 ?        S      0:00 [scsi_eh_0]
  400 ?        S<     0:00 [kmirrord]
  416 ?        S      0:30 [kjournald]
 1259 ?        S<s    0:00 udevd
 2016 ?        S<     0:00 [kauditd]
 2244 ?        S      0:00 [kjournald]
 2843 ?        Ss     0:15 syslogd -m 0
 2847 ?        Ss     0:00 klogd -x
 2959 ?        Ss     0:00 irqbalance
 3004 ?        Ss     0:00 portmap
 3135 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/smartd
 3144 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/acpid
 3256 ?        Ss     0:00 xinetd -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
 3293 ?        Ss     0:00 gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2
 3330 ?        Ss     0:00 xfs -droppriv -daemon
 3347 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/atd
 3383 ?        Ss     0:00 login -- root
 3384 tty2     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty2
 3385 tty3     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty3
 3386 tty4     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty4
 3387 tty5     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty5
 3388 tty6     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6
 4140 tty1     Ss+    0:00 -bash
  336 ?        Ss     0:00 rpc.statd
 1965 ?        Ssl    0:00 dbus-daemon-1 --system
 2003 ?        Ss     0:00 rpc.idmapd
 2073 ?        Ss     0:00 crond
 2190 ?        S<     0:00 [krfcommd]
 2403 ?        Ss     2:05 hald
 2681 ?        Ss     0:00 sendmail: accepting connections
 2691 ?        Ss     0:00 sendmail: Queue runner@01:00:00 for
/var/spool/clientmqueue
 2786 ?        Ss     0:31 /usr/sbin/sshd
 6959 ?        Ss     0:00 cupsd
24713 ?        Ss     0:00 sshd: root@pts/0
24721 pts/0    Ss     0:00 -bash
25145 ?        Ss     0:00 sshd: unknown [priv]
25146 ?        S      0:00 sshd: unknown [net]
25148 pts/0    R+     0:00 ps ax

Mem:       2074736    1196636     878100          0     102396     989864
-/+ buffers/cache:     104376    1970360
Swap:      2031608          0    2031608