[News] [Linux] USA Today on Using Linux to Revive Old PC

Put your old machine to good use

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS, which, along with Kubuntu and Ubuntu is one of the best
| Linux distributions around, only requires an old Pentium II (!) to
| run nicely. The entire cost of Linux is the cost of the blank disk
| you'll need to burn yourself a copy, so it's worth it to play around.
| There's a good chance you'll like what you see.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2007-05-25-old-machine_N.htm?csp=34
http://tinyurl.com/292b73

Related:

Putting an old laptop to good use with Xubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The story would be complete here. Old hardware, modern Linux, no money
| spent. Isn't that what its all about? But there is more. I had a server
| that was built out of spare parts that had at one time been used for
| testing a new web server control panel. The testing was long over and
| I had reconfigured the machine to act as a small file server for me.
| I had gone as far as setting up a restricted access website for the
| file server, allowing me to get files via http as well as FTP. The
| power draw was around 85 watts on the box, which sat in a 2U case.
| The laptop only drew about 30 watts.
`----

http://corneliusroot.blogspot.com/2007/01/putting-old-laptop-to-good-use-with.html

Expert shares secrets to saving thousands with K12LTSP

,----[ Quote ]
| The K12 Linux Terminal Server Project (K12LTSP) is a thin client
| distribution designed for use in schools.
|
| [...]
|
| Arkiletian estimates that his lab cost only $4,000 to set up --
| about a tenth the cost of buying replacement workstations.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/16/1717243&tid=23&tid=46

How To Revive An Old PC With Linux

,----[ Quote ]