[News] [OSS] China Assembles Many Engineers to Build OpenOffice.org Derivative

Chinese software company to tailor OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| RedFlag produces a Chinese variation of OpenOffice.org called
| RedOffice. The company is a subsidiary of the Chinese Academy of Science.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722855-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

An interview on Free software, with a Sun Microsystems man:

An interview with Patrick Finch of Sun Microsystems

,----[ Quote ]
| [Q:] Sun has often compared Solaris to (GNU/)Linux. How about a comparison
| with other, possibly more similar systems such as FreeBSD?
|
| [A:] FreeBSD is rather similar to Solaris on the desktop, you're right,
| and the hardware support seems good. My experience with FreeBSD was that
| it was essentially very similar to other Free desktops, like GNU/Linux
| and Solaris.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/an_interview_with_patrick_finch_of_sun_microsystems

Related:

China has its own open document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Put this in your pipe and smoke it: China has its own open document
| format, the Uniform Office Format (UOF), that they are working to
| harmonize with ODF...
|
| All the plotting and planning here in the US was for absolutely
| nothing. ODF wins.

Converter Enables Conversion Between ODF & Chinese Document Format (UOF)

,----[ Quote ]
| Peking University recently released a program to convert office
| documents between OpenDocument Format and the Specification for
| the Chinese office file format based on XML (UOF for short).

CCID Consulting: China's Linux Market up by 30.9% in 2007Q1

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-08-2007/0004583089&EDATE=
http://tinyurl.com/yooq7a