Re: [News] [Linux] Review of Darter Laptop (Linux Preinstalled), PCLinuxOS 2007

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Review of Darter Laptop (Linux Preinstalled), PCLinuxOS 2007
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:42:51 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Thu, 24 May 2007 11:56:08 +0100,
> Review: Darter Ultra Notebook
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| If you are a current Linux user or even one thinking about getting
>| into the Linux world, the Darter Ultra is a great starting point.
>| The available documentation, the friendly staff, and the rapid free
>| support, not to mention the modern components - including the speedy
>| dual core Intel Core 2 Duo chip, the integrated SD card reader, and
>| the System76 driver - all make a very convincing argument. If you
>| are looking for a mobile Linux experience - or even a compact
>| desktop - you can't go wrong with the Darter Ultra, especially now
>| that they come with Feisty Fawn.
> `----
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17971/Review-Darter-Ultra-Notebook/

I bought one a couple months ago. Very happy. Originally came with Edgey
(Ubuntu 6.10) and the upgrade to Feisty (7.04) was smooth and complete.

Great little machine. Good price, and handling all the drivers for the
hw that aren't in the stock kernel in a single package works great. The
restore CD, is a standard Ubuntu install cd.

Boots in 20-25s, and suspend & hibernate work great. Mine was comparable
in price to the nearest Dell option at the time.

usually comes from bad judgement.