[News] [Linux] GNU/Linux PCs in China for $130

China Produces $130 Computers for Less Developed Regions

,----[ Quote ]
| Sichuan based computer maker Sinomanic launched production of a
| series of low-end computers for the less developed regions in
| China. Priced as low as 998RMB ($130), these computers will
| include a Linux operating system, MIPS processor, multimedia
| and network supports. Internet browsing and documentp
| rocessing software will also be packaged into these systems.
`----

http://www.redlinechina.com/main/?q=node/161

It's growing fast.

Related:

CCID Consulting: China's Linux Market up by 30.9% in 2007Q1

,----[ Quote ]
| As for industry segments, Linux market growth was mainly concentrated
| in the government, financial services and telecom sectors, which accounted
| for a market share of 34%, 22.5% and 21.2% respectively.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-08-2007/0004583089&EDATE=
http://tinyurl.com/yooq7a

Dell releases low-cost Linux desktops...in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, for example, has sold tens of thousands of Linux-based PCs
| to elementary schools in China, running Sun Wah Linux -- a
| Chinese distribution of Linux based on Debian.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2007/0326linux2.html

Dell launches low-cost PC in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Another PC the company is offering at a special price runs Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| The company is also offering a slightly higher priced desktop, the
| Dell Dimension C51-n, with an Athlon64 3200 microprocessor from
| Advanced Micro Devices, a Linux OS, and a 17-inch LCD (liquid
| crystal display) monitor. The company is offering a special price
| on the system, 3,999 renminbi.
|
| The company does not say what version of Linux is on the PC. A
| Dell spokesperson could not be reached for comment.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/03/21/HNdelllowcostpcchina_1.html

China market: Microsoft has over 89% of desktop OS market value in 4Q06

,----[ Quote ]
| In terms of shipment volume, Microsoft also accounted for the
| largest proportion with a 65.26% share for its Windows operating
| system, followed by Linux-based Red Flag Software at 12.59% and
| China Standard Software (CS2C) at 6.64%, Analysys indicated.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070312PR205.html

Chinese PC maker offers $129 system

,----[ Quote ]
| The GX-2 is based on a 400MHz MIPS processor from Raza Microelectronics.
| It runs either a version of the Linux operating system orF
| utureAlpha, a Chinese-developed operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| The price of the GX-2 is roughly the same as the laptop developed by the
| [Linux-based] One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project, which the group recently
| said costs about $130. That system is expected to enter volume production
| during the third quarter of this year.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070206/tc_infoworld/85787_1

China's Linux industry booms, despite problems

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Lu Shouqun, China's sale of Linux was 175 million yuan
| ($21 million) in 2005, increasing 81% compared with the previous year.
| The sale of other open source software that year was 160 million
| yuan ($19 million). In the operating system market, the share of
| Linux increased from 4.2% to 9.8% between 2003 and 2005.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/19/1917209&tid=53

Computers with home-grown Chinese CPU debut

,----[ Quote ]
| The computer, which uses a Linux operating system, comes with a
| 40-gigabyte hard drive and 256 megabytes of memory. It costs
| 1,599 yuan (about 200 U.S. dollars), and users have to buy the
| monitor, keyboard and mouse separately, the company said on
| its website.
`----

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-01/19/content_5627256.htm

China Linux Market Will Grow at Annual Rate of 34%, Says R&M

,----[ Quote ]
| It is predicted that in China, Linux market (both server and client)
| will grow with an annual rate of 34 %. The client-side share growth
| will be comparatively faster.
`----

http://eb-asia.com/article.asp?id=7528

Will China Be Linux's Best Friend In 2007?

,----[ Quote ]
| The sale of IBM's PC division to Chinese-owned Lenovo was only the tip of
| the iceberg, it seems. Now, the latest news indicate that computers running
| on Chinese-made processors and running Linux will be introduced before the
| Chinese New Year. Good news indeed for those who would like to see Intel
| and Microsoft's domination of the global PC market finally face some
| genuine competition.
|
| [...]
|
| The things in favor of the Chinese PCs: a) through its sheer size,
| China has considerable economic leverage on most countries in the
| West (particularly Canada and the US) and may simply demand that
| these new computers be given a serious opportunity in overseas
| markets; b) successful adoption of the computers in its own country
| could lead to greater likelihood of adoption in other countries;
| and c) priced quite low, these computers may garner an initial
| following as a novelty or a toy for hobbyists and/or Linux
| afficionados, leading to further growth.
`----

http://www.performancepccanada.com/?defaultarticle=1066&defaultnode=516&layout=20&pagefunction=Load%20Layout&formfields[sect_title]=Editorial
http://tinyurl.com/yosn7t

China making own PCs running with Linux but please shut up about it. And why
are you running those damn pictures?

,----[ Quote ]
| No one wanted the news released. It appears to have been a major clanger
| on someone's part.
|
| China Youth Daily ran this on Sina Tech (it is a Chinese site and unless
| you read Chinese gets you nowhere) and all hell broke lose. It was
| not authorized. The site was firmly asked to remove the story. As of
| this writing this has not happened.
|
| There is serious upset at Lemote and Godson that the news has
| leaked. They are as annoyed as Steve Jobs would be in a similar
| situation. Still it has happened. And we have photographs of the
| machine which you see above. Probably the first English language
| site to do so.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/01/22/china-making-own-pcs-running-with-linux-but-please-shut-up-about-it-and-why-are-you-running-those-damn-pictures/
http://tinyurl.com/28z32f

China gets into the FOSS groove

,----[ Quote ]
| If there is mass take-up of free and open source software in any
| country over the next few years, that country is likely to be China.

Hasee PCs Preinstall Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsid=7969

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/01/a_big_step_for.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "China has long been seen as a fertile ground for Linux and other open
| source software. In a country where more than 90% of software in use
| is pirated, it seems like a natural fit."
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html

        Linux Set to Soar in China

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/06/03/2003311446

        Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly

China to produce $125 (Linux) PC

,----[ Quote ]
| A Chinese outfit is hoping to release a PC which will hit the shops with a
| price tag of $125.

Ubuntu's official launch in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth, founder of the Ubuntu project, was in Beijing
| last week for  Ubuntu's official China launch. The event was
| overwhelmingly successful.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61965081,00.htm

RPLinux: China's Answer to the $100 PC

,----[ Quote ]
| What do you think? Can China succeed in making a true seamless blend of
| their Linux distribution of choice with their home grown hardware? It's
| no small feat to be sure; however, I personally believe that they are
| likely up to the challenge.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2350&Itemid=468

Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
| sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
| 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
| have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
| Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
| interview.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926:MTFH04213_2006-09-26_06-26-12_SHA306441&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

China's Digit Digit Adds Linux-based Flames

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=757A20D85AED457E9DA74AFD3E19D8B0
http://tinyurl.com/yggx4b