[News] [Rival] Is Microsoft Using More Vile Tricks to Force DRM and Lockin?

Macrovision infects Windows Media Center

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft probably did this to bribe the cable operators into giving
| it access to encrypted television, though it's possible (and legal)
| to record their shows without permission by using the analog outputs
| (like the Neuros OSD and mythtv, a DIY Linux-based recorder)
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/21/macrovision_infects_.html

Related:

Apple Users Petition Prime Minister

,----[ Quote ]
| UK Apple users are petitioning the Prime Minister Tony Blair over the
| BBC's decision to make streaming media available to Windows users
| only. The BBC plans to launch an on-demand tv service which uses
| software that will only be available to Windows users.
`----

http://www.digmo.co.uk/misc/apple-users-petition-prime-minister/

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| "At the same time I wouldn?t go as far as Steve Jobs did and suggest
| that everything is the fault of the record labels," added Smith.
| "People who produce content and who own the rights to that content
| deserve the opportunity to make their own decisions about how theyw
| ant to provide that content to the public," added Smith.
`----

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y