Re: [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Television Lockin

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Television Lockin
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:54:21 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:qj3cbSk0KEKFJzCbWgV05y6VBSY=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Brits! Act now to save the BBC from Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The BBC are holding an open consultation regarding how they're
>> | going to delivery on-demand content, they want answers to
>> | questions like: "How important is it that the proposed seven-day
>> | catch-up service over the internet is available to consumers who
>> | are not using Microsoft software?"
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/31/brits_act_now_to_sav.html
>
> I often go to the BBC and ITV web sites to catch the news or a bit of video.
> I don't have any problems at all viewing the media.
>
> There is a media change that is gradually filtering onto the web though that
> is making a difference. Some of those that use MS media format are playing
> sound but no video. Apparently MS are releasing a version of that player
> for Firefox, I suspect it is too much to expect them to release one for the
> Linux platform, but maybe, just maybe, don't hold your breasts, our friends
> at Novell-Suse will pick up the format details next time they pop over to
> MS for coffee, well they are either working together or they aren't,
> otherwise what was the point of exchanginging all that money. Novell tells
> MS what a kernel is and MS tells Novell what a media player is. Fair
> enough.
>
> oops, I'm terribly sorry, I meant breath.

The BBC are being idiots at the moment. Purposely obfuscating their
radio feed URLS behind flash and ASP redirects. Drives me nuts.

--
I cannot see average users bothering with windows machines once they
realise what they can do with a PS3. : Mark Kent, COLA Rottweiler and Optimist.