Re: [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Television Lockin

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Television Lockin
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 04:37:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Windows Media Center Restricts Cable TV
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A simple search on the subject reveals that HBO programming and, in
> | my case, Braveheart on AMC are among the many selections now
> | restricted for playback or recording by Windows Media Center
> | Edition. What's next, restricting every piece of programming
> | on television?
> `----
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/21/0138255&from=rss

I liked this comment:

"Re:It's not the content that's being restricted
(Score:5, Funny)
by jimstapleton (999106) on Monday May 21, @08:03AM (#19207027)
(Last Journal: Tuesday February 06, @10:13AM)

Remember, it's digital content enablement.

Don't you feel enabled?"

Microsoft the disabler.

> Related:
>
> Brits! Act now to save the BBC from Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The BBC are holding an open consultation regarding how they're
> | going to delivery on-demand content, they want answers to
> | questions like: "How important is it that the proposed seven-day
> | catch-up service over the internet is available to consumers who
> | are not using Microsoft software?"
> `----

Absolutely crucial, I'd say. I don't recall anything in the BBC license
(that I'm forced by law to pay for) that states anything along the lines
of "you must buy Microsoft's products to use our services".

That's very nearly the same as mandating by legislation that all UK
citizens must buy Microsoft Windows. It's disgraceful.

--
K.
http://slated.org

,----
| Amarok Now Playing: "/mnt/sky/The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus,
| The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In
| Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily
| Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of
| All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation.ogg"
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 04:35:54 up 35 days,  2:08,  3 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.33, 0.34