Re: Firefox and the Anxiety of Growing Pains

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 21 May 2007 15:07 \__

> <Quote>
> Some 1,000 to 2,000 people have contributed code to Firefox, according
> to the Mozilla Foundation, which distributes the Firefox browser. An
> estimated 10,000 people act as testers for the program, and an
> estimated 80,000 help spread the word....
>
> "The best we can figure, 75 to 100 million people are using Firefox,"
> she said. "Those people did not get it in a box. That is 75 million
> decisions, somewhere around the world to put this piece of software on
> someone's machine."
>
> According to outside estimates, Firefox has about 15 percent of the
> market, Internet Explorer has more than 78 percent, and Apple's Safari
> a little less than 5 percent. Mozilla has 90 employees and revenue of
> more than $100 million in the last couple of years.
> </Quote>
>
> Article mainly concerned with Mozilla's efforts to deal with success---
> how to spend the money they earn ($50 million/year, a lot from
> Google), etc.
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/technology/21link.html

Several Free software projects that collect money (even Web services like
YouTube) return money to top contributor. It's an award-based economy
perhaps...

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
roy      pts/3                         Mon May 21 08:11   still logged in