Re: [News] [Linux] Dell Reveals Its Linux Lineup, Ready for Order Next Thursday

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Dell Reveals Its Linux Lineup, Ready for Order Next Thursday
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:26:29 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 19 May 2007 00:56:54 +0100
<1719633.bubkcZQQAt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dell announces the models for Ubuntu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We will be launching a Linux based OS (Ubuntu) on the E520, 1505 and XPS
> | 410 starting next Thursday, 5/24.
> `----

Ah!  They're early.  I was expecting Tuesday the 29th -- the day after
Memorial Day.  Perhaps they're planning a big sale.  Interesting...

> http://jeremy.linuxquestions.org/2007/05/18/dell-announces-the-models-for-ubuntu/
>
> Here are the models:
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_xpsdt_410?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Hm.  No indication (yet) of Linux here.  This is their XPS line.
If they do put Ubuntu on it, I'll be impressed -- though I'd have
to do more research as to how quiet their 710 model is.

> http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_inspn_e1505?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Inspiron notebook line.  No indications of Linux yet here either.
We'll see come Thursday.

> http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_e520?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Dimension desktops.  This page has a strange malfunction: no pictures.
No Linux as yet, either...so maybe they're working on it.

> Related:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/dell

"COMING SOON:  Ubuntu on Dell".  The laptop shown is
probably an E1505 model.

> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

"COMING SOON: By Popular Demand  [Ubuntu logo] Ubuntu"
The picture is interesting in that the flatscreen monitor
looks a bit fake.

Interestingly, the Dell desktop shown does not currently match
any of the Dimension series; it is instead an XPS 410.
http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I'll put this down to marketing sloppiness, but they'd better be careful.
:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
  - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!