Re: $139 PC comes with Linux preinstalled

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ John Bailo ] on Sunday 20 May 2007 17:15 \__

http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS5566172390.html

MadTux and Vector Linux today announced a Linux PC for the rock-bottom
price of $139. The "Vector Linux Affordable Performance PC" comes with a
1.5GHz processor, 256MB RAM, 13.5GB hard drive, graphics and networking
interfaces, and preinstalled Vector Linux, but requires a user-supplied
monitor and keyboard.

This would make an excellent and modern thin client. On my home PC, I have only used the CD-ROM drive a handful of times in the past 2 years (with the exception of installing some packages). The landscape of computing is changing because of fast networks. A household can have several weak computers and only one 'server'.

According to 60 minutes, the wireless reach of the OLPC is 3 times that of ordinary PCs!

3 Times!

So one laptop can connect, ala the 'mesh network' to others and if even one has Internet access, they all get Internet access.

The OLPC is disruptive...on many facets.