[News] Canonical Fails to Understand Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Canonical Fails to Understand Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:16:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Gobuntu: A Truly Free Linux Distro or a Free Drivers Experiment?

,----[ Quote ]
| "It has nothing whatsoever to do with Freedom," argues one of Gobuntu’s
| contributors.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3710061

Well, the company uses a proprietary bug tracker, so...

Related:

Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
| idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
| to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

Gobuntu is… go

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to Colin and Evan’s efforts we now have daily images of a
| freedom-focused flavour of Ubuntu, “Gobuntu”.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/130

Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available
| in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today.
|
| [...]
|
| In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in
| collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense". gNewsense is a Linux
| distribution backed by the Free Software Foundation that removes all
| non-free material from Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Ubuntu-s-Gibbon-gets-free/0,339028227,339274828,00.htm

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=gNewSense%20KDE%201.1

Press Release 20070122 - gNewSense 1.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/PressRelease20070122

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=gNewSense%20KDE%201.1

GNewSense 1.0 Screenshot Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has announced the inaugural stable
| release of gNewSense, an Ubuntu-based distribution, modified to
| include Free Software only...
`----

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/?q=node/26

gNewSense joins list of FSF-approved distros

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1851