Re: Mandriva wins Nigerian school desktops after Microsoft bribery..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Saturday 10 November 2007 13:04 : \____

> 'a government agency funding 11,000 of the PCs has overruled the
> supplier. Nigeria's Universal Service Provision Fund (USPF) wants to
> keep Mandriva Linux on the Classmate PCs, said an official who
> identified himself as the programme manager for USPF's Classmate PCs
> project'
>
> '"We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not
> give his name'

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124

The headline (subject line) is incorrect. It implies that Microsoft won the
deal at some stage, but /BUYING/ a deal is not winning the deal. It's bribery.

Oh, wait..

Green Party slams Microsoft OLPC involvement

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft wants to restrict the greatest profits in the knowledge economy
| to already established software corporations like itself.
|
| "By installing its programs on these laptops Microsoft hopes to create
| market domination and vendor lock in. That is unacceptable bribery.
|                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2170267/update-green-party-labels

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microsoft Hires Programmer to edit Wikipedia Entry For OOXML

Interview with Dr Andrew S Tanenbaum

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew S Tanenbaum: A couple of years ago this guy called Ken Brown
| wrote a book saying that Linus stole Linux from me, from Minix,
| and therefore the intellectual property rights are unclear and
| therefore companies shouldn't use Linux because I might sue them.
|
| It later came out that Microsoft had paid him to do this --
| and I defended Linus. I wrote on my Web site saying that this
| guy Brown came through, visited me and I gave him the
| [correct] story.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy/architecture/soa/Interview_with_Dr_Andrew_S_Tanenbaum/0,339028264,339273224,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/3c78xz

I can think of many more examples.

Microsoft calls it business as usual. Everyone else calls it bribery.

Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"