[News] [Rival] MSBBC and Apple Face Problems Because of DRM Abuses

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] MSBBC and Apple Face Problems Because of DRM Abuses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:05:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Becky Hogge, Open Rights Group, on the BBC, iPlayer and DRM, interviewed by
Sean Daly

,----[ Quote ]
| The first was that the use of Microsoft-only DRM was not a good way for the
| BBC to go. Now, we've worked since with the Open Source Consortium, and
| they're very concerned about this issue of platform neutrality and of market
| distortion, because with the BBC only using Microsoft DRM and only making its
| services available to Microsoft, there is the potential for market distortion
| there. And we always make the analogy that if the BBC developed a great new
| soap opera, but only let me watch it on a *Sony* TV, the public would be up
| in arms.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2214178,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Apple iPod/iTunes class action changes venue

,----[ Quote ]
| A court case instigated by a Florida resident named Fredrick Black alleging
| that "Apple's use of its proprietary DRM rather than Microsoft's version of
| DRM constitutes unlawful 'tying practices'" has been transferred to the
| California Northern District Court where a number of similar matters are
| running.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15266/1054/

Related:

Why DRM's best friend might just be Apple Inc.

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM is dying. It's a statement being echoed with increasing frequency
| around the Web over the last few weeks, and is perhaps best articulated
| in this Billboard article. Antony Bruno lays out his case for why 2007
| will be the year that the major labels "get it" and stop alienating
| their customers with restrictive DRM schemes.

Apple DRM illegal in Norway: Ombudsman

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's digital rights management lock on its iPod device and iTunes
| software is illegal, the Consumer Ombudsman in Norway has ruled. The
| blow follows the news that Germany and France are joining Norway's
| action against Apple.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/apple_drm_illegal_in_norway/

Apple Users Petition Prime Minister

,----[ Quote ]
| UK Apple users are petitioning the Prime Minister Tony Blair over the
| BBC's decision to make streaming media available to Windows users
| only. The BBC plans to launch an on-demand tv service which uses
| software that will only be available to Windows users.
`----

http://www.digmo.co.uk/misc/apple-users-petition-prime-minister/

Save the BBC from Windows DRM!

,----[ Quote ]