[News] Many Linux Devices on Their Way (Google Phones, OLPCs)

  • Subject: [News] Many Linux Devices on Their Way (Google Phones, OLPCs)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:25:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Q&A: MontaVista CEO on Google Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's forthcoming open-source platform for smartphones, called Android,
| promises to spur the creation and adoption of new mobile-phone applications.
| And many of them will likely run on top of MontaVista, the leading
| Linux-based smartphone operating system. MontaVista chief executive Thomas
| Kelly answers the questions.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com//article_news.asp?guid=9D5030B7-C48B-46E0-B7D8-E82C61BDA06D

Production begins for schoolkid laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The initial recipients will be children in Uruguay, Peru and Mongolia. Also,
| beginning Monday, people in North America will be able to buy one for
| themselves and donate the other to a child overseas through
| http://www.laptopgiving.org.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_on_hi_te/hundred_dollar_laptop

'$100 laptop' begins production

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071106/tc_infoworld/93133