Re: [News] Linux Boots Windows Off the BIOS, Microsoft Remains Speechless

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 07 November 2007 14:11 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId=9045662&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_top

http://web.archive.org/web/20061113162014/http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-02.html

> Yes indeed, the worm has certainly turned.

Yes, from this:

WARNING!! There is windows in my.. BIOS!!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| From my laptop's Bios download page
|
| This BIOS is ONLY for use with Windows Vista. Please do not install this
| BIOS for use with Windows XP, or other Windows versions.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2705017#post2705017

Intel to make major UEFI announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| "It takes a few years to unseat a legacy - it took 22 years to create
| it and it has taken a few years to unseat. New technology usually
| happens first in servers - all the server markers are now using
| UEFI -- and Microsoft has been working with us, it just takes a
| few years," he said.
`----

http://apcmag.com/5845/intel_to_make_major_efi_announcement_tomorrow

Amidst Boom, Warning Signs On The Horizon

,----[ Quote ]
| Reports about the crack started circulation online a few weeks
| ago. The method uses a feature that allows system builders to
| qualify new computers as licensed by inserting a short digital
| marker in the BIOS. Upon detection of this special marker,
| Windows XP and Vista bypass product activation and anti-piracy
| checks.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2187590/microsoft-mulls-counterattack

To this:

LinuxBIOS with X11 server, completely in Flash ROM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/linuxbios-with-x11-server-completely-in-flash-rom

,----[ Gist ]
| LinuxBIOS is a Free Software project aimed at replacing the normal BIOS
| with a little bit of hardware initialization and a compressed Linux
| kernel that can be booted from a cold start.
`----

http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/Main_Page

First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4

,----[ Quote ]
| The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
| supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
| Yinghai Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month.
`----

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.2/2347.html

http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Motherboards

LinuxBIOS: The Forgotten Hero

,----[ Quote ]
| This begs the question: is anyone currently using LinuxBIOS on
| their machines? You bet they are. According to one recent report,
| LinuxBIOS was installed on about one million machines and that
| existing number is expected to rise significantly, assuming the
| rate of growth remains constant.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7694

Google Sponsors the LinuxBIOS project

,----[ Quote ]
| The LinuxBIOS project aims to take down the last barrier in Open
| Source systems by providing a free firmware (BIOS) implementation.
`----

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=31343

LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxBIOS is intended to provide a philosophically free replacement
| for proprietary firmware in chipsets.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/30/199208&from=rss

LinuxBIOS Brings Clones One Step Closer to Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Even if you don't care about the openness of your system BIOS, you might be
| concerned about its inflexibility and legacy baggage. The x86 BIOS still
| thinks it's supporting MS-DOS and performs a number of tasks, such as probing
| hardware and loading drivers, that modern operating systems (including Linux
| and Windows) now handle better, faster and with a lot more flexibility and
| user control. This can take 30-50 seconds. The operating system ignores what
| the BIOS does and then re-runs the same tasks. Newer PCs shortcut this with
| the "fast boot" setting, which skips most of the usual steps and gets to a
| boot prompt in about ten seconds.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3706881

An Open-Source BIOS For ATI GPUs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth would also like to see everything down to the device's
| firmware being free software. The steps Oliver is taking at this point is to
| examine the AtomBIOS parser, which is open-source as part of the RadeonHD
| driver (a partial explanation of AtomBIOS).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjE0NQ

Boot Linux Faster With An Open BIOS

| Another interesting approach involves using Linux itself to initialize the
| hardware. The LinuxBIOS takes the approach of loading a small Linux kernel
| directly into the boot ROM. This approach is increasingly practical now that
| boards have 1-2MB of flash ROM onboard, according to Seebach.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/knitter/2007/10/08/boot-linux-faster-with-an-open-bios

Booting into Linux in 5 seconds? ASUS says Yes!

,----[ Quote ]
| Having the Linux available - especially with the boot time of 5 SECONDS (as
| they say) is something I find very interesting. My next PC might easily have
| one of these beasts inside.
`----

http://boss.peconi.com/2007/10/08/booting-into-linux-in-5-seconds-asus-says-yes/

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
Cpu(s): 26.3%us,  4.4%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.1%id,  3.8%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st