[News] Impressive and Comprehensive Look at the Latest State of Fedora and Ubuntu

  • Subject: [News] Impressive and Comprehensive Look at the Latest State of Fedora and Ubuntu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 01:12:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The unabated development of Fedora Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article I hope to cover the continuing development of Fedora over the
| years and give people a chance to learn a little bit more about it since the
| first release came to life back in November 2003, how the distro has matured
| and what to expect from Fedora 8 in a couple of days (November 2007).
`----

http://linux-noob.com/review/fedora/development/

Ubuntu 7.10: adding some 'bling' to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 7.10 (codenamed 'Gutsy Gibbon') could arguably be called the 'bling'
| release of the world's most popular Linux distribution. Swish 3D desktop
| effects, coupled with a new display configuration tool, make eye-candy the
| focus.
`----

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/software/operating-systems/features/ubuntu-710-adding-some-bling-to-linux
http://tinyurl.com/393zuq

The brown will be gone in April 2008. More dark shades+Compiz Fusion enabled by
default.

Related:

The Linux Battle: Ubuntu vs. Fedora

,----[ Quote ]
| Up to this point, Ubuntu appears to be taking the lead in the open
| source operating system world with a strong backing from Dell
| Computers. Both operating systems are fully functional and have
| surprisingly strong features.
`----

http://www.romow.com/computer-blog/the-linux-battle-ubuntu-vs-fedora/

Fedora v. Ubuntu: A Performance Look

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article we have enclosed benchmarks from Fedora Core 6,
| Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft, Fedora 7 Test 2, and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Herd
| 5. In gaming and desktop benchmarks, which of these Linux
| distributions is faster? We hope to answer that question today.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=658&num=1

It can't be easy being Fedora, overshadowed by Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| You can clearly see Fedora as king through 2004 until Ubuntu (the plucky chap
| in red) started his rise to fame. Towards Q1 of 2005 Ubuntu surpassed Fedora
| as the most searched Linux distro and it's stayed there.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/it_cant_be_easy_being_fedora_overshadowed_by_ubuntu

Ubuntu vs. Red Hat on Compete.com, Hitwise, and Google Trends

,----[ Quote ]
| Clearly, Ubuntu is catching up with Red Hat, at least in terms of the number
| of visitors to its website, and Debian (on which Ubuntu is based) continues
| to be the community distribution of choice, blowing away Red Hat's Fedora and
| Novell's OpenSuSe.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/07/ubuntu_vs_red_h.html

Linux vs Linux