Re: Open Source Gaining Ground in Asia!

____/ High Plains Thumper on Monday 05 November 2007 20:10 : \____

http://www.gnomejournal.org/article/33/macedonia-deploys-5000-gnome-desktops-in-public-schools

> or http://tinyurl.com/ysx8gk
>
> [quote]
> Macedonia Deploys 5,000 GNOME Desktops in Public Schools
>
> 2 December 05
>
> When the Republic of Macedonia decided to deploy Linux in 468
> schools and 182 computer labs nationwide, they chose GNOME on an
> Ubuntu distribution. Arangel Angov met with Darko Arsov,
> Technology Integration Manager at the Education Development
> Center, to find out more about their reasons for using GNOME.
>
> The Republic of Macedonia is a small country in Southern Europe
> with a population of around 2 million. Internet penetration is
> only around 5% and software piracy is rampant. Also, the
> government does not play any major role in the development of the
> ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) and a private
> sector is dominated by Microsoft technologies.
>
> Given the circumstances, one would not expect any free software
> related stories to make the headlines. Yet the presence of a
> small volunteer organization by the name Free Software Macedonia
> is making a big difference in this small country.
>
> At the time of writing this article, all major Free Open Source
> Software (FOSS) projects have either been translated or were
> close to being translated in Macedonian language. Tools such as
> spell checkers are also under development. Although, resources
> are scarce, dedication and enthusiasm has kept these projects going.
>
> This particular write-up is about implementation of GNOME.
>
> It was in early August that a friend of mine told me about a
> project involving mass deployment of FOSS in public schools
> throughout the Republic of Macedonia.
>
> After a little research, I found out that the project involved
> deployment of Ubuntu Linux, which comes with GNOME as a default
> desktop environment. About 5000 PC’s in all of the public schools
> in Macedonia, both primary and secondary, got Ubuntu and GNOME
> deployed on them.
>
> As a part of a joined project called “E-School.MK”, US Agency for
> International Development (USAID), Education Development Center
> (EDC) and the Macedonian Ministry of Education and Science (MoES)
> decided to install Ubuntu Linux in all the 468 schools and some
> 182 computer labs all over the country.
> [/quote]

The main issue is that what does not appear in the press is assumed never to
have happened.

Linux is a free operating system.  Unless a company like Novell is behind the
deployment (which is not free), nobody will utter a word about it. Microsoft,
on the other hand, has an extensive network of PR agencies that lean on
journalists. I can provide references to articles which show how the Microsoft
Press Machine(R) works and how they are pressuring publishers to praise
Microsoft and give coverage to Microsoft products.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
 20:05:01 up 6 days, 16 min,  3 users,  load average: 1.99, 1.39, 1.48