[News] New Reasons Why Linux Beats Both Mac OS and Windows

  • Subject: [News] New Reasons Why Linux Beats Both Mac OS and Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:41:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
6 Reasons Why Linux Beats Windows & Mac OSX Hands Down

,----[ Gist ]
| 1. Linux is completely open.
|
| 2. The software that runs on it is also open.
|
| 3. Linux runs great on just about any platform.
|
| 4. You can buy a Linux desktop from Dell (or Walmart!).
|
| 5. Linux has become nearly idiot-proof for basic computing tasks.
|
| 6. The desktop computer is dying anyway.
`----

http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/2007/11/05/6-reasons-why-linux-beats-windows-mac-osx-hands-down/
http://tinyurl.com/328lsb

Points (4) and (6) can be considered new. Both are valid points.

Related:

Five Reasons for Making the Switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Reason 1: Productivity
|
| Reason 2: Security
|
| Reason 3: Linux Maturity
|
| Reason 4: Availability
|
| Reason 5: Cost
`----

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/networking/features/article.php/3707251

13 reasons why Linux should be on your desktop

,----[ Gist ]
| # Cost
|
| # Resources
|
| # Performance
|
| # No bloatware
|
| # Security
|
| # Dual booting
|
| # Installation
|
| # Reinstalling the OS
|
| # Keeping track of software
|
| # Updating software
|
| # More security
|
| # No need to defrag disks
|
| # A wealth of built-in utilities
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5836989728.html

25 Reasons to Convert to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Businesses, educational institutions, governmental agencies and other
| organizations around the world are converting1 their computer operating
| systems from Microsoft Windows to Linux at an increasing pace. They are
| likewise converting their application programs from commercial software to
| free software (also referred to as open source software). There are at least
| 25 reasons for this situation, including...
`----

http://ubuntu704.blogspot.com/2007/10/25-reasons-to-convert-to-linux.html

25 reasons to switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Linux and other free software there is little reason to fear the
| existence of backdoors, in large part because all of the source code is
| available for inspection.
`----

http://bored.dreamflicks.com/2007/08/12/25-reasons-to-switch-to-linux/

Top 10 Reasons to Switch to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I can't believe it's been almost a year already since I switched to Linux,
| Ubuntu specifically. I have to say, it's been one of the best times in my
| digital life. GNU/Linux is one of the best operating systems there is, and
| here's why.
`----

http://mydigitalramblings.blogspot.com/2007/07/top-10-reasons-to-switch-to-linux.html

11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux.
| Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows.
| Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gnumeric,
| K3B, Beryl, gdesklets, and MythTV.  I know this is a chicken-and-egg
| point, where Windows has the exact same situation. Too often I hear
| "I can't switch to Linux because it doesn?t run [insert Windows
| software]".  My reason for pointing it out is just to make it clear
| that this is a two-way street.
`----

http://www.andersmoen.com/2007/05/21/11-reasons-to-use-linux-instead-of-windows/

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows