Re: [News] Microsoft/Novell Clone-ware the Wrong Route

Verily I say unto thee, that Jeffrey Stedfast spake thusly:

> Interestingly enough, Matt Asay has retracted his article saying he
> was wrong.
>
> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9809851-16.html

That is not a "retraction", it's a *clarification* that much of the
article was his /opinion/ rather than a report. Specifically he regrets
that he "crossed the line between corporate and personal", and states
emphatically that it is *not* "because anyone asked [him] to (Neither
CNET nor Novell suggested a retraction)".

IOW his /opinion/ has *not* changed, he merely regrets /voicing/ that
opinion publicly on CNet.

> I'm ashamed to be a part of a community

That much is transparently obvious.

But then you don't need to concern yourself with trivial things like the
Free Software community, Jeff, when you can collect a nice fat pay
cheque at the end of the month, for "contributing" so much Microsoft IP
into the Free Software tree.

How is Ballmer anyway? Has his Golf handicap improved any?

> Jeff (a Free Software developer since 1997)

Yes, I know you are, "Jeff". Or should I say fejj[at]novell.com,
fejj[at]gnome.org, fejj[at]stampede.org, fejj[at]ximian.com?

http://jeffreystedfast.blogspot.com/2007/11/re-squandering-one-of-industrys-best.html

Attended any MS Developer conferences with your pal Miguel recently?

How is that whole MS encumbered "Mono" thing going, out of interest?

"Free" software, indeed. LOL!

Oh BTW, I just had the rather unpleasant surprise of discovering that
apparently Yelp is now dependant on libbeagle, you know - as in Beagle,
as in "Mono". But I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, after all - the
core of Gnome will /never/ be dependant on Mono. Right Jeff?

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-June/msg00428.html

It seems like it's getting harder and harder to avoid Microsoft IP,
thanks to people like you and de Icaza. Thankfully there are those who
are prepared to do the work to undo the damage you're doing.

And even if Gnome /does/ become infested with Mono, that's no big deal,
right? After all, Mono /is/ "Free Software", isn't it? And it has
/nothing/ whatever to do with Microsoft, and I'm sure Microsoft /will/
keep their non-legally binding "Reasonable And Non-Discriminatory"
"promise", right Jeff. Microsoft would /never/ dream of using their IP
claims to undermine Free Software, now would they? Nor would they ever
make exclusionary deals to "protect" /one/ GNU/Linux vendor from .NET
patent litigation, but not others ... right?

Oh wait...

So once you've finished poisoning the Free Software tree with encumbered
Microsoft technology, just make sure to send me the invoice, so I know
who to write the cheque out to. I wouldn't want to be caught running an
"illegal" GNU/Linux distribution without paying Microsoft the correct
"protection" fee, now would I?

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 18:32:10 up 88 days, 18:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.33, 0.32