[News] Linux Brought to Mainstream of Computing, Through Devices and Smartphones

  • Subject: [News] Linux Brought to Mainstream of Computing, Through Devices and Smartphones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 00:37:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wireless Wars: Apple and Google Take On the World

| mobile software producers are gearing up their own initiatives. Some carriers
| are investing in open source software: Vodafone
| and Japan's NTT DoCoMo recently cofounded LiMo, one of nearly two dozen
| mobile flavors of Linux. And when another mobile Linux purveyor named
| Trolltech released a limited batch of handsets for developers to play around
| with in June, "a surprising number of handsets were bought by operators,"
| reports Benoit Schillings, Trolltech's chief technology officer.

Apple's devices are too closed to evolve. Only Apple truly works on them.
Windows, with 4-6% market share, is barely even worth a mention.

Related, from yesterday:

The Man Behind the Google Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| “The thing that gets me going is touching a large number of people — if
| there’s 3.1 billion phones out there, it’s a great way to touch people,” he
| says. “I want to find something that delights people so they use it, and
| they use it for the merits of it being it.”
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/technology/04google.html?_r=2&ei=5088&en=f05a55321435d1e9&ex=1351828800&oref=slogin&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]